These are the amounts of insurance coverage that you will need:

If you are an international student, you and family members who are in the United States with you must have health insurance that covers you and your family in the United States, for sickness or accidents incurred in the United States, during the time you are studying at Westminster. 

Minimum insurance coverage must provide ALL of the following:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
  • Remains repatriation coverage of at least $25,000 per person covered;
  • Coverage for expenses associated with medical evacuation to the international student’s home country of at least $50,000 per person covered; and
  • Deductibles that do not exceed $500 per accident or illness.

These are the steps you should take to provide proof that you have the correct amount of health insurance:

1. Contact a health or medical insurance broker or consultant. Share with him or her the specifics above. A broker or consultant can help you understand and choose a plan best suited for you and, as applicable, your dependents.

2. Purchase a plan without broker/consultant help. Pay close attention to the cost of deductibles, which is the amount you must pay before the insurance company will pay anything, and the amount of co-insurance, which indicates the share of payment you and the insurance company will make after you have paid the deductible. Please also pay attention to maternity coverage, if that concern applies.

3. Before the beginning of each semester, send (1) proof of coverage for you and your dependents with you in the U.S. for the duration of the current semester and (2) documentation on insurance company letterhead in English that the insurance you purchased meets required coverage levels. See above for the required levels.

If you do not submit proof of having health insurance, you may be prevented from registering for classes for the next semester or your SEVIS record may be terminated.

Did this answer your question?