All Collections
For International Students
Most Popular Articles
International student admission and enrollment basics
International student admission and enrollment basics
Karin Deussing avatar
Written by Karin Deussing
Updated over a week ago

Students of high academic standing from other countries are encouraged to apply to the seminary. We welcome and support students from various backgrounds and life experiences. 

Like all students, international students must submit the standard admission credentials with their applications.

Financial Assistance
While some limited financial assistance for tuition may be awarded by the seminary, complete financial support is not granted to any student. International students must seek additional means of support elsewhere. 

Certificate of Eligibility
Applicants to the seminary's residential or modular programs must receive the U.S. Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, or Form I-20.

In order to receive the certificate, which is necessary to obtain the visa for non-immigrant students, the applicant must have final approval of admission as a full-time residential student and financial documentation showing sufficient resources for his or her length of study in the United States. 

Sponsors documented on affidavits of support must be legitimate and committed to giving the amount indicated. If they fail to support the student, the student and sponsor(s) acknowledge on the affidavit that they understand the student will need to return to the student's home country.

Visa Requirements
All students on an F-1 visa are required to pursue a full course of study each semester, according to seminary and U.S. government policies.

International students should allow three years to complete an MAR and four years to complete an MDiv, due to Greek, Hebrew, and Advanced Theological Writing requirements. 

No more than one online course per semester or term may count toward the student's full course load. 

Learn more about visa requirements here.

Health Insurance
Students coming to the United States for the first time are encouraged to arrange, while still in their home countries, health insurance coverage that will adequately cover them and any family members who will be accompanying them.

Learn more about necessary health insurance here.


The Student Development Office is the place to go with all of your questions about life at Westminster. You may stop by the Student Development Office in Machen Hall anytime, or you may also schedule an appointment by emailing them at

The U.S. government also has a website dedicated to answering all of the questions that international students have. The website is a good place to find important information about your international student status and what you should and should not do. Here you will find some seminary information on the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) regulations for those on F-1 and F-2 visas.

If you are a new international student, you must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) within 30 days of your arrival to the U.S. Towards that end, please be sure to stop by the Student Development Office soon after you arrive. We are excited that you are here at WTS with us and look forward to meeting you as soon as we can!

Did this answer your question?