Students of high academic standing from other countries are encouraged to apply to the seminary. We welcome and support students from various backgrounds and life experiences. 

Like all students, international students must submit the standard admission credentials with their applications.

Financial Assistance
While some limited financial assistance for tuition may be awarded by the Seminary, complete financial support is not granted to any student. International students must seek additional means of support elsewhere. 

Payment Method
Applicants should note that because of United States banking restrictions, checks must be payable in U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, with the bank’s computer code located in the lower left-hand corner of the check. Checks that don't meet these requirements will be returned, which may delay admission. 

Certificate of Eligibility
Applicants to the Philadelphia residential or modular programs must receive the certificate of eligibility (Form DS-2019 for J-1 visas or Form I-20 for F-1 visas) from the International Student Coordinator. 

In order to receive the certificate—which is necessary to obtain the visa for non-immigrant students—the applicant must have final approval of admission as a full-time residential student and financial documentation showing sufficient resources for his or her length of study in the United States. 

Sponsors documented on affidavit of support forms must be legitimate and committed to giving the amount indicated. If they fail to support the student, his or her tuition scholarship (if applicable) will be revoked, which may result in withdrawal from Westminster. 

Visa Requirements
All students on either a J-1 visa or an F-1 visa are required to pursue a full course of study, according to Seminary and United States government policies. For details, contact student development

For degree program time limits, see specific degree program requirements. 

International students should always allow three years to complete an MAR and four years to complete an MDiv, due to Greek, Hebrew, and Advanced Theological Writing requirements. 

For students on an F-1 or J-1 visa, no more than one online course per semester or term may count toward the student's full course load. 

Health Insurance
Students coming to the United States for the first time are encouraged to arrange, while still in their home countries, health insurance coverage that will adequately cover them and any family members who will be accompanying them until they can determine what coverage they need and be enrolled in a plan in the United States. 

Learn more about necessary health insurance here.

Exceptions and Notes

The Mastering Theological English program is not available for PhD applicants. 

In most cases, international students cannot be granted visas for participating in the Certificate in Christian Studies Program.

In addition, quite often, international students cannot be granted visas as special level students (i.e. students who are non-degree seeking).

Did this answer your question?