These are the amounts of insurance coverage that you will need:
If you are an international student, you and family members who are in the United States with you must have health insurance that covers you and your family in the United States, for sickness or accidents incurred in the United States, for as long as you are enrolled in a program at Westminster.
Minimum insurance coverage must provide ALL of the following, for you and each of your dependents, on immigration status, with you in the United States, for the duration of your degree program at Westminster:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
- Remains repatriation coverage of at least $25,000 per person covered;
- Coverage for expenses associated with medical evacuation to the international student’s home country of at least $50,000 per person covered; and
- Deductibles that do not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Proof of coverage must be in English and show coverage amounts in USD.
These are the steps you should take to provide proof that you have the correct amount of health insurance:
1. Contact a health or medical insurance broker or consultant. Share with him or her the specifics above. A broker or consultant can help you understand and choose a plan best suited for you and, as applicable, your dependents.
2. Purchase a plan without broker/consultant help. Pay close attention to the cost of deductibles, which is the amount you must pay before the insurance company will pay anything, and the amount of co-insurance, which indicates the share of payment you and the insurance company will make after you have paid the deductible. Please also pay attention to maternity coverage, if that concern applies.
3. Upload in the International Student Resources course in Canvas proof of coverage for you and your dependents with you in the U.S. by the submission dates indicated in the course. Proof of coverage must show coverage from the upload date until the next upload date. The proof of coverage must indicate the coverage aspects and levels mentioned above.
4. Maintain proof of current and adequate coverage for you and any dependents with you in the U.S. for as long as you are enrolled in a program at Westminster. At all times, Westminster must have on file for you proof of adequate and current coverage.
If the seminary does not have on file proof of current coverage OR if the coverage for which you sent proof does not meet the requirements mentioned above, your SEVIS record will be terminated. Please keep proof of current and adequate coverage on file at Westminster through the International Student Resources course in Canvas.